Chiropractic care for children is very beneficial to their development and health. Regular chiropractic checkups will not only help identify and correct health issues but also strengthen their immune system and improve the function of their central nervous system.
8 Reasons Your Child Should See a Chiropractor
- A stronger immune system
- Better sleep
- Better health and well-being
- Correct and heal many common childhood conditions such as asthma, bedwetting, colic, ear infections, and more
- Improved posture
- Helps children deal with stress
- Reduced frequency and duration of illness
- Proper development of the nervous system
Childhood Ailments That Respond Well to Chiropractic Care
Chiropractic care has been proven to help many common childhood problems by improving the function of the nervous system. The nervous system controls every function of the body, including muscles, organs, heart, and lungs. Here is a partial list of childhood conditions that respond well to chiropractic care.
- Acid reflux
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Birth trauma
- Breastfeeding difficulties: latching/nursing issues
- Ear infections
- Neurobehavioral and neurodevelopmental Issues
- Sleeping issues
- Tech or Text Neck
We will also work with you to provide guidance and direction for a healthy diet, backpack guidelines, correct posture, and exercise. Being able to ingrain good habits at a young age will be helpful to your child during childhood and beyond.
Chiropractic Adjustments for Children Treat Subluxations
One of the most common adjustments a chiropractor does is correct subluxations, which are misalignments in the vertebrae of the spine. Subluxations are quite common and easily corrected with chiropractic adjustments. Subluxations put pressure on the nerves that exit the spine and go throughout the body. Subluxations can irritate the nerves causing pain and interfering with communication in the nervous system. When a nervous system is optimally functioning, it weakens the immune system, makes healing take longer, affects muscle coordination, disrupts the digestive system, and much more. A chiropractor finds the cause of the subluxations, corrects them, and allows the body to function optimally without using medications.
Causes of Subluxations in Children
There are many causes for subluxations including sleeping in the wrong position or carrying a backpack that doesn’t properly fit your child. Here are several common causes of subluxations.
- Sports, games, and exercise: While athletic activities are excellent for the development of every child, the twisting, sudden impacts, and other movements will often throw a vertebra out of alignment.
- Slips and Falls: Running around, learning to walk, learning to ride a bike, losing their balance — these and more can cause subluxations in the spine.
- Natural growth: As a child grows and develops, it is common for the bones in the vertebrae to become misaligned. Chiropractic adjustments will correct this.
Set a Chiropractic Appointment for your Child
From a newborn baby to your high school athlete, chiropractic care has been improving the health and wellness of children for over 100 years. Today, over 30 million American families use chiropractic care for their children.
From gentle adjustments using slight pressure to help your newborn sleep better and stay healthy, to adjustments that will enhance the performance of your student-athlete, chiropractic care at Summit Spine and Wellness helps children of all ages. Call our office at (215) 487-2500 or schedule online. If you have found this article on chiropractic care and children beneficial, please share it with your friends and family.